What is Social Media Marketing (SMM)?
As media is a platform, means of communication and a medium between a broadcaster and a user, SMM refers to the usage of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc as a part of the digital marketing strategy to promote your products, services and business.
Advantages of SMM
1) Increases Website Traffic.
2) Audience Engagement can be immensely improved.
3) Search Rankings get raised.
4) Increases Lead Generation.
5) AUdience Size gets increased.
Why is SMM important?
- It’s a trend – Ample time is spent by millions of people on social media networks so if you need to engage them you know where to find them.
- It’s the new marketing – As people are spending much time on social media, as a marketer you should also begin your marketing this way too.
- It’s the fastest way to spread a word about a new service, product, business or news item.
- It’s the new influencer – In recent times more companies are stating that they get customers from Facebook or Twitter which shows that social media is becoming a great sales channel.
Let’s see few SMM tips and strategies for a beginner
1) Decide Which Platforms To Use
As a beginner to Social Media Marketing, you have to choose 2 or 3 social media platforms and concentrate on those alone.
An easier way to decide your platforms is to find the influencers and analyze where they have success.
2) Start With A Plan
As each platform is different, you should make an organized calendar of what and when to post on the social media.
For instance, on Twitter it might be acceptable to post quite a lot each day but whereas doing the same on Facebook or Instagram isn’t.
Workout on how frequently you want to post, what kind of posts you will be posting and what kind of hashtags you will be using etc details.
3) Optimize Your Social Media Profiles
You increase the chances of getting more followers and also boost your SEO efforts by optimizing your profiles on the social media sites.
- Use a real photo showing your face.
- Write a good description about yourself or your company.
- Give an indication to the users of what type of info you will share.
- Include a link to your website (where applicable).
4) Connect Your Website Or Blog With Your Social Media Pages/Add Social Media Buttons On Your Website
With your social media profiles ready, the next step is to connect your website with your social media pages.
A correct binding between the two means that search engines and social media websites know which website corresponds to which social media page.
Adding social media buttons (larger buttons) on your website plays a crucial role so that readers can easily share your content.
5) Post Consistently
Once you have an organized calendar planned it’s time to execute the plan by posting your required content.
It is important to post consistently like up to 3 times a day on Facebook and Instagram etc.
A great way to help you build up your following is to interact with other people in a similar field’s content.
Aim for people that don’t have a huge audience.
7) Find And Follow The Influencers In Your Niche/Check Out The Community
Find people to follow as it is important to gradually build our tribe of followers.
By following popular people in your niche suggested by the social media platforms, it tells them that you are also in that niche.
Many people follow popular people where the followers of a popular person may follow them back as well.
Share important and useful content about the niche so you have a chance to learn something new and reshare that with your followers.
Analyse and check out what other people in the same kind of field as you are posting and which posts are getting the most engagement.
8) Share Interesting/Selective Content (text, videos, images)
This majorly helps in having a successful social media campaign.
By sharing useful and interesting content, you can attract more visitors to your website, sometimes more customers and get more re-shares.
Interesting content ideas/strategies
- Attention-grabbing Quotes.
- Company Insights.
- Contests and Giveaways.
- Question and Answers.
- Themed Content.
- Articles, stories, pages related to your niche but not only from your own website.
- Images and videos.
- Research studies.
- Interesting statistics about your niche.
- USe a lot but limited hashtags (#) as they can make your content more searchable.
9) Experiment And Analyse
It will help you identify what is working well and what not by changing things up every so often and tracking the results.
It can help you point out the best times to post, who your target audience are, what kind of posts get the most engagement and so on.
10) Don’t Forget To Follow Back
Follow back those who have already followed you.
Do this on a regular basis so that some people will not un-follow you.
11) Use Schedulers/Management Tools
To log in to multiple different platforms may be a difficult task. So using social media management tools can help you have all your feeds coming into one place and manage them from there.
These tools allow you to schedule content from some platforms to get ahead with your posts.
12) Keep An Eye On Trends
Allowing yourself to spend much time on social media can make you notice the current trends.
Keep an eye and jump on those kinds of trends if possible.
13) Be Aware Of Time, Unique, Genuine, Engaging And Real
Schedule posts during your downtime and don’t forget to consider the time changes.
Show off your uniqueness by posting links to blog posts that highlight accomplishments, news and other advantages.
Create beneficial relationships with both your potential customers and the influencers.
Follow people and engage them b commenting on the key influencer accounts. Offer your honest opinion and expertise.
Make people feel good for interacting with you by being real. Thank them for following, posting and sharing your content.