Pay-Per-Click Advertising! What Does It Mean?
Pay-Per-Click also popularly known as PPC is an advertising model of internet marketing used widely by the advertisers to drive huge organic traffic to the websites wherein an advertiser only pays to the publisher/website owner when the ad is clicked.
The term CPC that is Cost-Per-Click hence refers to the same where the website owner is charged only when someone clicks the advertiser’s ad.
Types Of PPC Advertising
1) Paid Search Advertising/Marketing
Well known as the most common type of PPC advertising, Google Ads and Bing Network providers display these paid ads to the users who are in quest or search for certain keywords where the advertisers set up the campaigns by writing an ad copy, picking up relevant keywords and choosing the exact or suitable landing page for the website depending on the requirement.
2) Display Advertising/Ads
Display Ads can be in any form such as a banner, image, video or text ads that usually appear on third-party websites selected to target a particular set of audiences and the ones that are related to your service or required content.
These are the Visual Ads usually affordable that will link to your website and are also the original form of online advertising. Display Ads can definitely be useful to build brand awareness but generally return a lower CTR (Click-Through-Rate) compared to the search ads.
In the recent days display ads come as,
- Popup Ads – These Ads appear in a new popup window in front of the website content and the full ad is displayed in a newly opened window so that the users can see it.
- Static Images – These are the basic square ads or banners that are displayed around the content.
- Flash – These are the moving ads that flash different content to the user.
- Floating Banners – These are the display ads that generally float above the content of the website or move across the screen.
- Wallpaper – These display ads fill the entire page by appearing and changing the background of a website.
- Video – These small video ads autoplay or the visitor needs to play the ad.
- Text – These ads are relevant to the surrounding content created by the algorithms.
3) Social Media Advertising/Ads
Due to a large number of social media users on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn etc PPC advertising on these platforms assist in earning potential customers to achieve brand awareness for your services or products and a higher CTR (Click-Through-Rates).
This virtual marketing arena is both effective and efficient. These ads target specific demographics and millennials interests. For instance, Facebook ads include an option to target the age, region, educational background, personal interests etc.
Social media ads are similar to the display ads and can be a simple banner, an image or an auto-play video.
Social media ads are of two types namely,
- Paid – Powerup the promoted posts and reach specific audiences.
- Organic – These ads create loyalty and credibility that allows you to get feedback from your target audience (a new form of word-of-mouth).
4) Remarketing/Retargeting the Audience
Remarketing is a way of marketing to the audience who are already aware of your products and services. Remarketing is also known as retargeting where cookies are used on a user’s browser to display certain specific ads relevant to their previous online search actions.
For instance, when users visit your site a cookie is enabled for them so as when they browse the web the ads appear repeatedly reminding about the products and services they already looked for. This form of advertising can be used as a part of the display, search and social media such as Facebook, Google remarketing PPC advertising campaigns.
Retargeting advertising is an inexpensive method and is effective than PPC if done the right way. It definitely increases the number of conversions as you target the audience who are well known for your services.
5) Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
As the most dependable form of paid online advertising, SEM is also quite commonly used. These appear in the form of text ads on Google, Bing and other search engines.
Based on the given keywords, where these keywords are selected by bidding depending on the business niche (competitors also) through the search engines so as to rank your website on top of the search engine results page (SERP).
Either Pay-Per-Click (PPC) or Cost-Per-Thousand impressions/ Cost-Per-Mille (CPM) come under the paid ads. In CPM you are charged a flat rate for 1000 impressions.
SEM can also be done in an unpaid form known as SEO for your website by optimizing the required keywords. Search engines organically display the unpaid results based on the relevancy of the keywords. This is why SEO is important because if you improve your site’s SEO you can get an increased number of visits for free.
6) Email Marketing
An effective, faster and cheaper form of advertising is email marketing at the start of online advertising which comes under display ads. Email marketing is mainly used to boost up sales as well as a reliable way to earn customers credibility.
There are a few email campaign managers available in the market online that assist in preparing, sending and tracking your emails so as to measure and monitor your return on investment (ROI).
Few Email Campaign Managers commonly used in the market:
- Constant Contact
- Campaign Monitor
- Active Campaign
7) Video Advertising/Ads
Video ads are in different formats, types and have several content options. Youtube ads are the most common and popular type of video ads known till date. When you go for video ads create a visual story that tries to pull the viewer’s attention emotionally.
You can post your created video on several apps like
8) Native Advertising
- Search Ads
- Recommendation widgets
- Promoted listings
All the above-listed are forms of native advertising. These ads appear on and are integrated into the platform like Facebook feeds as sponsored listings at the end of blog posts. Networks like Outbrain and Taboola can post and promote your native advertising.
9) Affiliate Marketing
PPC ads are created by affiliate marketers to promote the services or products and are posted on
- search engines
- price comparison websites
- targeted content sites
- heavily-trafficked websites
This marketing type uses a performance-based cost per action payment model that can be set up and managed by third-party providers i.e affiliate networks.
Where Do The Ads Appear?
When the online users search for their commercial purposes things or perform a search through the Google search engine when they wanted to buy something, these ads appear to them.
Advertisers need to create intelligent campaigns and relevant ads so that search engines often reward them by charging less for their ad clicks.
These Pay Per Click ads appear
- On Google Search Engines and other search sites.
- On websites that your customers visit on different devices and in selected locations or languages.
Reasons To Use PPC Advertising For Your Business
1. The advertiser only pays when the viewer clicks the ad so it is cost-effective.
2. The advertiser will have all the power to control the budget by setting the cost of the ads based on the requirements.
3. The precise and fastest method of targeting visitors traffic can be done with demographics, keywords and interests.
4. PPC drives consistent as well as immediate traffic.
5. Fast, quick and measurable results in terms of quality traffic, revenue, leads and sales.
6. PPC enables you to create a valuable Click-Through-Rate (CTR) and a higher Return-On-Investment (ROI).
7. Using PPC you can apply Ad-Scheduling and Geo-Targeting.
8. PPC ranks the new keywords quickly and by doing so it helps to build your SEO strategy.
9. An easy way to test your products selling ratio is to do it by opting PPC ads and also these ads can drive to offline sales as well.
10. Other digital marketing channels also make good use of PPC.
11. Advanced marketing techniques like remarketing can be executed using PPC.
12. PPC advertising doesn’t depend on Google algorithm or SEO changes.
13. Your brand recognition can be increased using PPC advertising.
14. Using PPC advertising you can compete with larger businesses and also can gain market share initially.
15. PPC ads can help you break into the new markets as the advertising is done in real-time.
Pay-Per-Click marketing can be opted and make it work by almost any kind of businesses. From business like selling products through an e-commerce website, generating leads to a service-based business, drive traffic and conversions to your business and build brand awareness. As there are two sides for a coin, PPC advertising also has advantages as well as disadvantages.
When NOT to use/go for PPC?
- When your products are tagged at a very low price and the profit is not as much compared to the cost of running the PPC ads.
- In some cases when you have an Adsense website, Google ads and Adsense should not be used together.
- If you don’t have a clear and correct knowledge of how to use PPC ads, then don’t try this form of advertising as you will end up losing money.